Giving Back to the Communities We Call Home
Our associates are active members of the communities where they live and work, and we want to invest in helping the people and places in the communities we proudly call home. From sponsorships to fundraisers to letting others know that we have their back, there are so many ways that associates contribute their time, talents and resources to make a difference.
Here are just a few examples of how we live our Give Back Core Value:
- ABC Supply’s biggest Give Back effort has been getting involved with Stand Up 2 Hunger. Associates from all over the country come together to donate to local food pantries. Over the past three years, we have donated nearly 300,000 pounds of food, providing more than 245,800 meals to families in need.
“At ABC Supply, we have the means and the people to make a difference,” said Managing Partner Gregg D’Angelo. “If we don’t do something with it, who will?”
- It’s no secret that people love some friendly competition during March Madness. Ben Poutre, manager of one of our Lincoln, Nebraska branches, saw an opportunity for his associates and their families to get in on the fun while giving back to a deserving cause: the Team Jack Foundation, which raises funds for pediatric brain cancer research. All contributions to the bracket challenge went to the charity.
“Our Core Values hang on our branch wall where we see them every day,” said Ben Poutre. “They inspired this idea to give to a great local charity.”
- Four branches teamed up to help out our men and women in the military by partnering with Operation Jersey Cares. With the help of Managing Partner Giovanni Petrole, the branches were able to collect and donate 40 care packages being shipped to military service personnel overseas.
“People with the mindset to fight for the flag are amazing,” Giovanni said. “Everyone could do more to help those protecting our freedoms.”
- Riding seven days and 540 miles by bike to help end cancer with the Empire State Ride organization was no match for inside sales associate Dave Bridges from Buffalo, New York. Empire State Ride is a fundraiser for the Roswell Cancer Institute with many participants riding in honor of someone who has battled cancer. Since 2010, ABC Supply associates, contractors and partrons were able to help raise over $40,000 for the cause.
“This is one of the most positive things I’ve ever been involved with,” said Dave. “We come together as strangers and leave as a family.”
- Football has a special place in people’s hearts. Walter Wilson, former U.S. Marine and current ABC associate at our Cheverly, Maryland, location, saw an opportunity to use it to give back to youth in his community. He joined the K.C.P. Dolphins, of the Kentland-Columbia Park Boys & Girls Club football program, in 1992. Through the program, Walter and all the volunteers donate their time and talents to be positive role models for more than 120 youth each year. For many of the players, the Dolphins’ program is more than just a chance to have fun; it shows them how much others in their community care about them and want them to succeed.
“There are so many ways to give back,” said Walter. “Donating our time and our talents are often just as important as donating money.”
At ABC Supply, we see where we work as more than just a place of business: it’s home. We depend on our communities for success and in turn want to help them succeed. Learn more about how we live our values: Respect; Work Hard, Have Fun; Opportunity; Entrepreneurial Spirit; Family and American Pride.