The Most Popular Siding Materials of 2021
The ABC Supply Pro Council Shares Tips and Trends for Contractors
Your customers have many different materials, colors and styles to consider when choosing siding for their new or remodeled homes. For many homeowners, siding is the most important decision — it’s what gives the home its “look.” Knowing what siding options are in style and available will help you make recommendations and lead to a successful project.
COVID-19 has made planning ahead more important than ever. The pandemic has affected the production of many materials and has led to delays in getting some siding materials. Before helping your customers select siding, talk to your supplier to find out what’s available and how long the lead times for different siding options are. Knowing this information up front will help you guide your customers to a comfortable decision.
It’s now extra important to ensure that your material orders are accurate, regardless of whether you’re working on a new construction or remodeling project. Measure twice and double-check all the details of your order before submitting it. Production delays mean that replacing an incorrect order will take longer as well and could derail your project timeline.
We talked to the ABC Supply Pro Council, a group of ABC Supply associates throughout the country, about the siding material trends they are seeing in 2021. Here’s what’s popular across the country.
1. Dark, Bold Colors Still Rule
The Pro Council noted the rise of dark, bold colors for siding last year. This trend isn’t going anywhere. Dark grays and deep blues continue to be favored siding colors in 2021.
Historically, darker siding building materials easily faded. This is why many homeowners instead opted for siding materials with light, neutral color palettes. Today, manufacturers are creating darker siding solutions that have reduced the risks of fading.
As a result, homeowners are comfortable selecting dark, bold siding materials that give their homes a striking look.
2. Homeowners Want to Mix Textures
Another siding trend that looks to be sticking around is blending siding materials, profiles or textures to give homes visual interest.
Eye-catching examples include:
- Blending types of siding materials: For example, vinyl siding on the lower half of a home and cedar shakes on the upper half.
- Varying the siding direction: Vertical board and batten siding is gaining in popularity, especially when used in combination with traditional horizontal siding.
- Combining profiles: An example includes vinyl or fiber cement siding on a house with two or more lap exposures on an elevation.
- Mixing textures: Incorporating stone, brick or steel can add more contrast to a home’s exterior.
Combining materials, textures or profiles can also add much-needed depth to a building, especially on large facades.
3. Contrasting Siding Trim Helps Homes Stand Out
Whether you’re using vinyl, cellular PVC or another type, contrasting siding trim is another way that contractors and builders can help make customers’ homes stand out. Common combinations that the Pro Council sees are light blue siding with dark blue trim and dark gray siding with white trim.
4. Fiber Cement Siding Takes Over
The use of fiber cement siding is increasing across the country. It’s not hard to understand why. Fiber cement siding offers many benefits:
- It’s made with cement, wood fiber and other additives. These materials make fiber cement siding long-lasting and resistant to wear and tear.
- It looks like wood siding, but it doesn’t need the same level of staining, repainting and resealing as traditional wood siding.
- It’s fire and heat resistant, making it favorable in areas prone to wildfires.
5. Visualizer Tools Give Homeowners Confidence
The most difficult part of choosing siding is often picturing what it will look like on a home. You can virtually show customers what their homes could look like with tools like Pictureit from ABC Connect. They’ll see how their home could look with different siding options and colors. Tools like Pictureit give homeowners more confidence in their purchasing decisions.
Knowing what siding options are in style in 2021 will help you make informed recommendations to your customers. Learn more about the siding materials and manufacturers that ABC Supply offers here. Contact your local branch for more information about the products available and advice about the best materials for your job.
The ABC Supply Pro Council consists of experienced associates from across the U.S. Its aim is to provide contractors nationwide with industry advice and insights to help them seize opportunities and overcome challenges they face as they manage successful businesses. Contractors can visit ABC Supply's blog for additional tips and resources from the Pro Council.